Thursday, February 16, 2012

Hero from the 19th Century: A Woman Called Moses

I was thinking more about this being Black History Month, and I thought about Harriet Tubman. As I did some research about her, I found that she was an incredible woman who had a strong faith in Christ, served many people throughout her life, and was extremely brave and courageous.

This video from history.com gives an overview of Harriet's role in the Underground Railroad, and how that even more than the 70 people she helped escape to freedom on the Underground Railroad, she was a symbol that thousands of slave owners feared. She led 20 dangerous missions back to the south to lead slaves to freedom, and she never lost a "passenger". She was nicknamed "Moses" by her people, and was a symbol of hope.

Harriet also served the Union Army during the civil war as a cook, laundress, nurse, scout and spy. She helped hundreds of slaves transition from bondage to freedom with the help of missionary teachers. She led a raid of Confederate property that freed nearly 800 slaves. She was the matron of the Colored Hospital at Fortress Monroe, Virginia, and cared for many injured soldiers there. She raised money for freedmen's schools, and she turned the home she had purchased for her family into the Home for Aged and Indigent Colored People. She was also a delegate to the first annual convention of the National Association of Colored Women in 1896, and was an advocate for woman's suffrage (See this website for where I got this information).

As I was thinking about slavery, I remembered a post (Click Blog #5 Assignment) I made in my Honors 240 American Government class my Freshman year. This post expresses my thoughts and feelings on slavery. I re-read it and I was surprised; it was actually really good. That's another great reason about posting the things we write for classes online. It is great to have a documentation of my learning, and go back a couple years later and remember what I learned from a class.

No comments:

Post a Comment