Sunday, February 26, 2012

My Thesis in Progress

As I looked through my past blog posts, I've realized that I have covered quite a breadth of subjects. I've categorized my posts into groups:

Science
The Definition of Open Science: What Went Wrong With Cold Fusion

Technology's Effect on Society and Government
Amusement
I HAVE SOMETHING TO SAY ABOUT SOPA
Predicting Technology's Effect on Society
Presentation is Everything--Especially in a Digital World
How Safe is Paperless vs. Paper for Digital Information?

Health Care and Government
Birth Control and Small Businesses

Education
The Barometer Story: A Superficial Learning Environment

Globalization
Elephants and Globalization
Economic Globalization, Free Markets, and the Growing Divide

History
Hero from the 19th Century: A Woman Called Moses

After categorizing my posts, I realize I have focused more on posting about technology than about history. Partly this is due to the fact that I am in the 20th Century group, but this actually does not excuse me since there are a lot of great connections between the digital concepts and the history of the 20th century, such as Lenin and Stalin in relation to "control". I did post historical-related posts on Google+ about the Trans-Atlantic Cable for the Telegraph, the origins of Black History Month, and a few others.

Still, I think I can do a better job of relating the things I am learning about technology to historical content. It would add depth to my thoughts.

Honestly, I was disappointed a bit at the lack of response to my Globalization posts. I guess they were too dense to catch attention. I was really excited about sharing the things I am learning from reading my book. Perhaps if I had relayed the information more like this:


Exxon-Mobil has higher revenue than the GDP of Saudi Arabia.

Wal-Mart Stores has 2X as much revenue as the GDP of Thailand.

Out of the top 100 largest economies in the world in 2005, 42 were corporations, 58 were countries.

It is incredible to me that a single company can have more economic power than an entire country.

Overall, I think my thesis is still developing, but I am leaning towards something about technology and its effects on government and society.

No comments:

Post a Comment